Age diagnosed: 52
Specialist interest: Regulation and Industry
- Created and published online self-help guide to encourage people with Parkinson’s to review and follow up on approaches ranging from practical tips and tricks through nutrition and exercise to recruiting trials and research.
- Created and presented poster to encourage personal acquisition of knowledge by people with Parkinson’s at the 2016 World Parkinson Congress in Portland, Oregon. The resulting feedback led to further development of the online self-help guide.
- Organised visit of Parkinson’s campaigner to UK in 2017 for him to promote the benefits of fast walking (for those who can) and to successfully demonstrate that many people with Parkinson’s who are in wheelchairs can walk again with the right encouragement and technique. This approach has now been adopted by a local Parkinson’s charity help group.
- Represent Parkinson’s patient perspective at Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) public meetings and Patient Group Consultative Forum (PGCF) meetings.
What is the one thing you would like to change in the world?:
“Government funded, charity guided support to fill in the gap in the development of treatments for Parkinson’s which are not able to be addressed by pharmaceutical companies for commercial reasons.”
Promising approaches to treating the underlying causes and symptoms Parkinson’s disease.
- Communicating research
- Awareness and Media
- Clinical trials and studies
- Regulation and Industry
Click here to access Simon’s website, which includes his ‘User’s Guide to Learning about Parkinson’s’ as presented at WPC Portland.