Age diagnosed: 56
Specialist interest: Involvement, Clinical trials
- Trained as a Parkinson’s Disease Foundation Research Advocate
- Participate as a Parkinson’s Patient Advocate for Parkinson’s Foundation
- Founded and facilitate Team Spark, a local Parkinson’s support group
- Participate in clinical trials and encourage others to do so
- Volunteered at World Parkinson’s Congress
- Attend and participate in Van Andel Institute’s Grand Challenges and Rallying to the Challenges events
Attend conferences and meetings where researchers speak and meet them in person. We need each other and all benefit from a personal connection.
As a Psychologist, I am interested in “Healing Strategies” which encourage patients to be active in their treatment and the maintenance of quality of life. Positive actions and expectations almost always improve overall outcomes. Exercise, nutrition, supportive relationships, brain plasticity, and adaptive strategies and tools all hold promise for near-term positive impact.
Team Spark has been a blessing to me and to my wife and “care partner” Ginny. We continually hear how important the group has been in the lives of other participants. Our aim is expand the group and its functions, without becoming impersonal and unwieldy.